About Lisa Dougherty
Lisa founded Whole Body Fitness in 1999 to provide top-caliber personal training services to clients of all ages and fitness levels. Lisa develops progressive workouts that changes every 4-6 weeks to keep things interesting. She tracks client’s performance and gains at each workout. Her goal is to educate, motivate and support her clients to become more physically active and to adopt a healthier lifestyle through exercise and nutrition. Lisa is always excited to work with new individuals and enjoys many relationships with long-time clients.
Lisa’s specialty is medical fitness. Medical Fitness professionals help make the transition from medical management and/or physical therapy to a regular physical activity program following a surgery, an injury, a medical diagnosis or exacerbation of a pre-existing condition. They are educated and skilled to work with medical conditions/special needs including those with arthritis, diabetes, neuromuscular disorders, heart disease, lung disease, osteoporosis, orthopedic injury, cancer, Alzheimer’s, stroke, Parkinson’s, MS, and mental disorders.
In 2015, Lisa was a finalist for the 2016 Trainer of the Year for Personal Fitness Professional (PFP) Magazine.
She is the PFP Trainer of the Month for January 2016, which puts her in the running for the 2017 Trainer of the Year.
Founder and CEO
Lisa is passionate about helping others and founded the Medical Fitness Network in 2013. It provides a free national fitness and healthcare referral service to those with (chronic) medical conditions, pre & postnatal care (& everyone else!)
Lisa is a graduate of the Fitness Instructor Program at University California, Irvine 1999. This program included full university level anatomy, physiology, kinesiology, nutrition, psychology and many others.
Lisa is both a Certified Personal Trainer and Health Coach through the American Council on Exercises in 1999. An ACE Health Coach emphasizes fitness, nutrition and the science behind true behavior modification. As the only NCCA-accredited certification of its kind, ACE Health Coach helps professionals connect with people in a way that makes them not only want to change, but believe they can do it long term.The American Council on Exercise (www.acefitness.org) is the largest nonprofit fitness certification and education provider in the world. Widely recognized as “America’s Authority on Fitness,” ACE continually sets standards and protects the public against unqualified fitness professionals and unsafe or ineffective fitness products, programs and trends.
Lisa is recognized as a Master Trainer, the highest level of achievement as a Personal Trainer by IDEA Health and Wellness (www.ideafit.com), the world’s leading membership organization of health and fitness professionals with more than 250,000 members in over 80 countries.
Lisa has been a Healthy Moms® Fitness Certified Perinatal Fitness Instructor since 2006. Healthy Moms® is dedicated to enhancing the physical and psychological well being of women before, during, and after pregnancy
Lisa is American Heart Association CPR & AED certified.
Board Member, Medical Wellness Association (medicalwellnessassociation.com). The Medical Wellness Association promotes and integrates professional development of medical wellness programs, professionals, facilities and services. MWA provides leadership, promotes high standards and integration and advances the development of the profession.
Board Member, National Association for Health & Fitness (www.physicalfitness.org). America shares in the social, economic, health and environmental benefits that come from living an active lifestyle. NAHF is a non-profit organization that exists to improve the quality of life for individuals in the United States through the promotion of physical fitness, sports and healthy lifestyles.
Other Special Training and Continuing Education
- BEST Exercise Program for Osteoporosis Prevention, 3rd Edition Course: DSW Fitness, Jan 2016
- Physical Activity Instruction for Disease Specific Conditions Certificate Program: DSW Fitness, Sept 2015
- Exercise and Arthritis, 7th edition: Enabling clients to manage arthritis and chronic pain; DSW Fitness, Aug 2015
- Training the Pregnant Athlete: IDEA Health & Fitness Aug 2015
- Exercise and Heart Disease – strategies to help clients prevent and manage heart disease Oct 2014
- Exercise and Respiratory Disease – condition specific exercise design and management strategies to help clients’ lead normal and productive lives Sept 2014
- Understanding Dementia – outlines risk factors, symptoms, treatments INR Seminars Aug 2013
- Exercise and Arthritis – enabling clients to manage arthritis and chronic pain through exercise– DSW Fitness Dec 2012
- Exercise and Multiple Sclerosis – tools & strategies to improve fitness and functional ability for clients with MS who have varying symptoms and levels of abilities DSW Fitness Sept 2012
- Exercise for Knee & Hip Replacement – appropriate progressions and guidelines to improve strength, mobility & flexibility – DSW Fitness June 2012
- Exercise & Parkinson’s Disease – exercise management strategies for the primary neurological disease of the elderly DSW Fitness May 2012
- Exercise & Diabetes – creating, monitoring & progressing exercise programs for clients with diabetes DSW Fitness Mar 2012
- Breast Cancer Recovery Exercise program – assisting breast cancer recovery patients as they build confidence and regain function through specialized therapeutic exercises. DSW Fitness Dec 2011
- TRX Suspension Training Certification Nov2009
- Trigger Point Technologies Myofascial compression techniques™ – Feb 2008
- Exercise & Fibromyalgia – Gwen Hyatt, MS DSW Fitness 2005
- Yoga and Strength Linda Freeman Resist-A-Ball & BOSU Master Trainer 2005
- Training for Strength & Nutrition for Muscle Len Kravitz, PhD Sr Exercise Physiologist IDEA Health & Fitness Assoc. 2005
- Counseling for Health and Fitness Nutrition Dimension 2005
- Full Body Flexibility Jay Blahnik, Nike Fitness Athlete sponsored by Nautilus 2005
- Fit 4 Mom Pre/Postnatal Fitness Stroller Strides Oct 2006
- Fit For Labor – Lisa Druxman, MA owner of Stroller Strides 2005
- Biomechanics of Motherhood – Lisa Druxman, MA Stroller Strides 2005
- Exercise & Menopause – Sabrena Newton, MS Curriculum development A.C.E. 2005
- Prenatal & Postpartum Fitness Specialty Certification A.C.E. 2003
- Teenage Obesity What Can We Do About It – Chris Vega, MPH, RD 2005
- The Skill to Define and Design Exercise – Cheryl Soleway, physical therapist CanFtiPro’s 1999
- Yoga Studies – Yoga Teacher University of California, Irvine 2005
- Experiential Anatomy & Basic Physiology, University California Irvine 2005
- Yoga for a New Day – Teaching Yoga Asana for Health & Fitness DSW Fitness 2004
- Psychology for Health Fitness Professionals A.C.E. 2002
- Fitness Motivation 2002 DSW Fitness
- Dietary Supplements Critical Thinking Skills County of Orange Health Care Agency 2002
- Functional Training – MF Athletic Company 2001
- Obesity, Diabetes & Overeating in Children & Adults Institute for Natural Resources 2001
- Current Trends in Nutrition County of Orange Health Care Agency 2000